Saturday, December 18, 2021

MY GURU -IV

            MY  GURU - IV

                 Having been groomed by such a colossus, my taste for                      quality teaching stays alive to this  minute. I deem it my                   duty to tell the teachers and students that quality is a                        product   of  hard  labour and its omnipotent value can                    never  be  undermined.

His image:

I feel that the campus “conduct” of the professor offered an object lesson to our generation. He never appeared in common places unless absolutely essential. He could be seen in the departmental staff room correcting records / answer scripts and in the staff enclave of the college canteen at defined hours. 

He was a highly respected person and had innumerable friends among the staff. But, their interactions were in their circles. This all the more enhanced their dignity in our esteem. On all occasions, the professor was punctual and participated in organizing various programmes and events in the college. These aspects of the professor indicate his attitude to work, culture and helping tendencies.  With so much of value from this professor, the institution in general and students in particular gained. He had to retire in 1983, because of an order of the state government which stipulated 55 as the age limit. This was later revoked by the government. It was certainly a deprivation to the students and not to the professor. He had definitely given his very best to generations of students and would have certainly been of value for a few more years.           

My Thanks Giving:

Persons who have not had the fortune of knowing my guru would have at least formed some idea of the Professor. Every day I remember and revere him; for he showed me, the approach to genuine quality and the way to conduct one’s self on and off-campus. 

On another facet, I owe my gratitude to the Almighty. For all my reverence and appreciation of the Professor, I could not gain admission to P.G Zoology. I had a 2-Major programme for my B.Sc. I could make it into Botany P.G. at Annamalai University. I went to Mysore to seek his blessings.     I stood before Prof. T.R.B to painfully telling him that I could not make it in to P.G. Zoology.

He just gazed at me, and asked “So, What next?” I murmured, Sir, I have a selection card for P.G Botany. Then he turned to me and said “Take it and do very well. Congrats” I took it as from my god for all my life. Later, as a teacher, I did my best to stay aloft in my career. The Professor had ably taught us all the intricacies of learning Zoology.

When I had to pursue higher studies in Botany, I tried to adopt his approaches. As a teacher I emulated my guru and his teaching methodology. God provided for me to emulate. Had I been in Zoology, would I have unwittingly imitated him? Oh, what a save?  Now, I am able to clearly recognize that great men and their steps should be emulated by honest effort.  Genuine effort always rewards. My beloved guru, I am sure that the spirit of your mission continues.   For all his scholarship and abilities, the Professor stayed simple to his last day,that kept him all the more venerable. Such great people are not common. He passed away on 06-12-2017 when he was 94 + survived by 3 daughters, a son and grand children. I keep praying the Almighty to keep him in Divine shelter, for, his has been a life of the noblest of missions.  The present write-up had already been made in 2006 and the printout was sent to him. His reaction was the most unexpected. He rather reprimanded me saying “Why do you do all this? I have not done anything great. Whatever I did was expected of a teacher”. I stood my ground saying “all my observations are genuine, without an iota of exaggeration”.  After 2-3 days he called me [phone] and said “pardon me, if I had hurt your sentiments. After all, ours is a decades-long relationship. Keep touch as ever”.     I keep cherishing those wonderful days that triggered my desire for quality efforts, seeing his dedication and zeal to work.                                                                                                     

Gratefully                                     K. Raman     

    

 


1 comment:

  1. It is heartwarming to read your rich tribute to Prof. TRB. Such wholesome teachers are very rare breed. I admire your dedication to your Guru.

    ReplyDelete

THE CARPENTER

  THE CARPENTER   Yet another weakening artisan is the carpenter. Well, readers may construe that I am exaggerating and that carpenters ar...