Wednesday, December 15, 2021

MY GURU

 

MY GURU

My friends, associates and well-wishers would have seen my articles / write-ups on varied themes and topics. Many of them were devoted to items that have occupied my thought, as areas to be shared with our people. In the process, I have received responses varying in spirit and attitude as well as in views. All such views have been respectable indeed.

A sizable majority has congratulated my efforts and has enthused me to touch upon such items that I deem fit.  But, I have to choose items to avoid the feeling of rubbing things in to others. The present title may not instantly appeal but, I owe my ‘everything’ to the person under this most appropriate caption to him. I chose the epithet “Guru”, for- the other common terms – the Teacher, the Mentor, and the Professor carry a degree of inadequacy in connotation.  I can not afford any inadequacy when I pay my respects to him.  I trust the puritans of language would certainly permit this usage for its rich connotation. One can readily recognize the esteem I hold for my Guru. The urge to respect him came to me ever since I came under his spell way back in July -1962. I was then a student in the   I B.Sc. class in my Alma mater- St. Philomena’s College, Mysore. The college then had a brilliant band of dedicated teachers, in sharp contrast to the general attitude to teaching today. Most of those teachers can be rated very high.  Yet, none was that brilliant as Prof. T.R. Balakrishna, whom I cherish and venerate. Frankly, I am a tiny speck in the vast ocean of his ardent admirers. With substantial authenticity I state that Prof. T.R.B was unique 

                                                                                                                                                   What do I mean by this? Every class has a spectrum of audience ranging from the dull / indifferent to the excellent / dynamic students. Without exception, all categories of us had the same response to his lectures and NOT a single student ever said ‘I could not follow’ his lecture.

My rating of Prof. T.R.B is not from the mere unanimity of his appeal. It would be proper to consider all aspects of his uniqueness at least to substantiate my observation. My first ever idea of a lecture came to me the day I listened to my Guru. I hasten to add that, prior to this blessed occasion, earlier I have gone through the process under several other lecture[r]s during our   Pre-University class in the same college. What a soul-stirring experience it was to listen to Prof. T.R.B! To say the least, his lectures were the most organized.  To date, I have not come across anyone who has surpassed Prof. T.R.B in any facet. Over the last 62* years, I have been observing the process of collegiate teaching, from either side of the podium. Besides, in the last several years I have often listened to various Experts, Scientists, Technocrats, Administrators, Doctors, Engineers, Educationists and Vice-Chancellors. A few have been good but not of the kind of brilliance I have known from Prof. T.R.B. People may mistake me for eulogizing my professor. Honestly, I speak of his real glory from my soul.     [*61years + as on Dec-16 , 2021]

Why should I do it now?

Quite simple. None of us stand to gain. I mean you, me or the Professor. Still, I 


deem it fit to  recall the glories of the man for at least two reasons. One – I owe 


my teacher-life to him and   two – even now if I do not explicitly speak of him, I 


am afraid the real glories of him  would be lost to the oblivion, leave alone their 


being unsung.      


To continue                         Prof. K,Raman                                          

 

2 comments:

  1. I know your devotion for Prof. T.R.B. It's a fitting tribute to him, your guru. Waiting for the next part

    ReplyDelete
  2. What TRB for you Porf. K. Srinivasan (KS) is for me. Though I may be knowing the matter in a topic I come to know how to present it only through KS.Equal respect I give to Prof. P. Natarajan who taught me zoology in BSc.
    It is interesting to know that P.N was the student of Prof.KS. Naturally PN should have imbibed the art of teaching from KS. I treat them as my Gurus
    K. Venkataraman

    ReplyDelete

THE CARPENTER

  THE CARPENTER   Yet another weakening artisan is the carpenter. Well, readers may construe that I am exaggerating and that carpenters ar...