Saturday, October 23, 2021

JUGGLERY OF WORDS

 

                                                    JUGGLERY OF WORDS

Before explaining the present idea, it is profitable to recognize utility of words and their application. So, effective communication rests on the articulate play of words.  For such an effort familiarity of terms and their usage comes in handy. Persons who equip themselves stand a good chance of impressive performance often if not always.

While a jewellery store has stocks of jewel varied in form, design, appeal and preferences by culture, jugglery is a play of ideas, words and semantics. A lot depends on how a person chooses to present an idea by play of word[s].

Mean is a common word; but being common we need not mean that the word is mean by importance. This word has connotations. What do we mean by this? I mean that it is not mean in significance. By what means do you say so could be a logical poser. My answer would be ‘by all means’.  Did I mean much as I employed the plural ‘means’. The term ‘means’ means income, method, resource, action and strategies thereof, though ‘means’ is not a plural, as it can be treated as a singular as well. So what it means to use ‘means’ depends on what a person means to signify. All the time one need not dwell on ‘means’ as a means of communicating an idea as the possibility of the user being dubbed ‘mean’ in his/her vocabulary. Being mean in the context suggests not being rich in vocabulary. ‘Mean’ can also imply average or petty minded disposition to others. So it means that one can ill afford to look mean, these days with all the means at our disposal to equip our skills. I trust, you do not mind availing of the means to enrich personal skills of communication. 

There are different opportunities to juggle. One can quickly juggle words to both delight and dismay the listener[s]. One person said “after all, language is just for communication”. I retorted ‘no, it is for just communication”. By just changing the place of the word ‘just’ in the statement, I implied greater justice for the language. The poor man, so poor in articulation that he had a triumphant look that a senior person just repeats what ‘I said to him –seconds ago’. ‘Just’ can be just juggled just like that if one knows how just to play it. Just a minute -a common expression and just apply and leave it to God have far differing indications, just as ‘give me just an answer and give me a just answer are different by their implication. So, none can just brush aside the value of ‘just’ as a just a filler while ‘just’ must enjoy legitimate justification.

Look at these:

I shall give you my presentation. When?  Presently. Why not tomorrow-the day of my wedding?  Then, I have another presentation, so I prefer doing it now.  If you give your presentation now itself, what would you do for tomorrow. Oh!  That is a lecture presentation and I cannot hand it over to anyone.  So, some presentations are delivered and some are handed over as gift.

Hope I presented what I can and abrogated your time indeed, by word and deed!

 

Prof. K. Raman 

1 comment:

  1. The word JUST juggled and brought justice to the language
    K.Venkataraman

    ReplyDelete

SALEM SUNDARI- 29

  SALEM SUNDARI- 29 சேலம் சுந்தரி -29 உங்கள தெரியாம திருச்சியில் யார் இருப்பாங்க அல்லது உங்களுக்கு தெரியாதவங்க திருச்சியில் இ...