Saturday, November 13, 2021

THE PATH - IV

The Path -IV 

Later many acknowledged that Pias was among the best in teaching Chemistry Zoology at PU was taught by Mr. Daniel Sukumar. We somehow rated him very high based on his rich costume and sophisticated looks. He was not a bad teacher eitherr. Physics was taught by Mr. Shankaranarayana. He was good but my phobia for maths did not evoke any respect for Physics. Thus went my PU at Mysore, where I very quickly picked up Kannada to speak. Later I learnt the script too. To date I retain them both, much to the surprise of my Kannada friends, as the time lapse is over 56 years now. With so much of gain I preferred to do my B.Sc., in the same college, more so, to be totally free from the nagging derivations of Physics. Later I realized the folly of my notion. I had to learn some of these vital applications to biology in my teacher career.
My tenure at St. Philomena’s College, Mysore proved a turning point in my life. I say so for more than one reason. I came under the powerful influence of Prof. T.R. Balakrishna who taught us the most vital areas of Biology / Zoology and I owe a lot to him. It was he who opened our eyes to the concept of brilliance in teaching. By any reckoning he was perfection personified and brilliance embodied. Seeing him I was enticed to Teaching as my career. Besides, this was the college where many top ranking Professors taught us. I have had the fortune of learning from Prof. M.Gopalkrishna Adiga a noted Critic in English and Kannada literature. Prof. Krishna Rao who baffled us by suddenly translating the word “Simple” to silence a mischievous intrusion from a boy, who wanted him translate the word “simple” Without batting an eye-lid, Prof. Krishna Rao quipped “The word “simple” is so simple that, I cannot simply translate into a simpler form; please understand”, In B.Sc , I had a 2 major scheme – Botany / Zoology with Chemistry as Ancillary Subject. Later it proved huge advantage for teaching in college –UG / PG schedules.

I would be thankless if I do not allot time and space for my guru Prof. T.R Balakrishna [Zoology] an exceptionally articulate and copiously fluent teacher in organizing information and in immaculate delivery. If I speak / write some English to-date, undoubtedly I owe it to Prof. TRB – WHO WAS A FIREBRAND edition of collegiate teaching. He cast a spell of mesmerism on all students by his rapid fire delivery in flawless language punctuated by updated information. His teaching was CAPTIVATING and INFECTIOUS to say the least. He was a powerful inspiration and a lasting influence on all students of either gender. Chemistry Prof. K.Narayana Rao and the Botany Prof. B.N.Narayana Rau, deserve special mention; the latter for his encyclopaedic repertoire in Botany and his quick cross references to varied domains. The Chemistry Prof. K.N Rao was a phenomenon. His memory was frightening so to say. Every year the college used to host a dinner to the graduates of the college after the Convocation at the University. The function would be in the college involving a few addresses by Professors, some entertainment and a Dinner. Prof. K.Narayana Rau, standing at the podium would introduce every graduate by name, Course studied and present position, without any material to refer to. He never paused or stumbled. What was astonishing was he did it for the entire troupe of graduates year after year. He used to call me ‘K’.Raman and every one by correct initials. Seeing those people we were groomed to the best practices in life. When I was in the II yr UG my father had a transfer to Dindigul. I had to join the hostels. It was a concentration camp.  Holding personal transistors was not allowed. Only at appointed hours the reading room would open for news papers and English periodicals. There were no regional language books. Students can go to the city only on Sundays after lunch and should return by 8.30 pm. All entry points would be sealed after 8.30pm. It was a fortress. There were 2 Resident wardens doing routine rounds every night. Students can only study or sleep. Gossiping was totally forbidden. We were forced to use our time. This schedule slowly inculcated a sense of discipline for time-bound habits. A major gain from this life was immense confidence in life especially for communication both formal and informal. It gave me the right orientation to a teaching career. When I had to leave the college I felt sad indeed, for, I was not sure of a better or a similar ambience. With my parents away at Dindigul, I had no scope of staying at Mysore. 1965 was the year of my graduation. Tamilnadu had then witnessed the anti Hindi agitation and results of the Madras University came late that year. Our results came earlier.  I could get a PG seat in Botany at Annamalai University. It was a different setting with a “free for all” hostel quite massive in population and a large number of Dining locales with 10 messes. There was no centralized overseeing. 

TO CONTINUE              K.Raman 

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately or unfortunately it isTRB and not TRP
    K. Venkataraman

    ReplyDelete

THE CARPENTER

  THE CARPENTER   Yet another weakening artisan is the carpenter. Well, readers may construe that I am exaggerating and that carpenters ar...