Sunday, November 14, 2021

THE PATH - V

 The Path - V

[ At Annamalai University]

The irresponsible would perish there because it had forums for all political ideology. But, some managed to stick to the intended goal and some were distracted in to politics. Academically it was not a challenging place.. Fortunately, we had a good Professor in K.Rangaswamy Ayyangar who taught us Botany, through genuine English. I had some very good friends who were all from outside A U for their PG studies. With my PG degree in June 1967, the search for a job began. By 18th June or so, The Madura College had called for applications from eligible candidates for the position of Demonstrator in Botany as well as for other disciplines. An interview was held by the fag end of June 1967. The then HOD Prof .Krishnan after the interview, politely told me, excuse me “You may not get the job, for we have decided to accommodate an old student of ours”.  I thanked him for clearing the air and told at least I had the experience of an interview. I rushed to Madurai railway station to catch the Shencottah passenger to Nellai where my father was then. My father was lamenting “You would have performed  badly.  Who will give you a job? You have lost a chance etc, etc.” After some 15 days, I had a call letter from The Madura College to join them. I was confused as to how it could be.  There was no confusion in the letter. Now, my father insisted on locating an auspicious day to join work. It was on 24thJuly 1967, I joined the department of Botany as a Demonstrator.  I had a new orientation here under Professors Krishnan and Sriganesan. The very first day of my joining the college, I had a funny experience in the evening. A group of persons boarded the bus and I too got in. I bought my ticket to central bus stand [ 10 paise ]. Moments later, the conductor pointing to some one at the rear said the person insists buying a ticket for me. I told the conductor in the negative. At the bus stand the person wanted to know who I was. I told him of my joining the college in the department of Botany. With contorted lips and a contemptuous look the person left the scene with a band of followers. 

I went in to the town looking for some reasonable accommodation.  The next morning around 11 am Prof. Krishnan called me. I found also the person who entered in to a conversation with me the previous evening. Prof. Krishnan politely said please show respect to seniors. I could not make out anything, coming as it did from my HOD with in 25 hours of joining the dept. I told “I don’t understand what you mean” Prof. S. Krishnan was shell shocked. The other person started recalling my refusal of his ticket for bus travel. Then also, I stood my ground saying- Why should you buy my ticket. He shouted “Don’t be stupid”. I said, “I am not”. He got more furious and asked “You mean to say I am stupid”. I replied “No Sir, But I leave it to you” Silence descended in the hall. It was none other than the most respected Prof. K.R. Narayanan of the English department. But what worked me up was an unknown person exercising his control on me when we are mutually strangers. What must have irritated Prof. K.R.N was my rebuttal in English that too by a raw appointee, yet to begin life as a teacher. I had no special value for him because I was blank as to who he was or what his profile was. Then he asked of my native place and I said “ Srirangam”. He retorted “Now, I understand your arrogance”. I laughed off saying “I am yet to show my arrogance sir”. But for this altercation, we both had very high regards for each other till he died on 2-05-1985. Quite a number of acquaintances I have had and I cherish them for various reasons. Space may not permit my narrating every one of those. They may be mentioned in passing. Still it would be a task. I was blessed with a fine team of colleagues in all the departments of the college. Working in The Madura College is a delight. No where under the Sun one can aspire for the ambience as obtaining in this system.What I intend saying is this. There is just no regimentation of any kind. People may speak ill of that.

To continue                           Prof.  K. Raman 


1 comment:

THE CARPENTER

  THE CARPENTER   Yet another weakening artisan is the carpenter. Well, readers may construe that I am exaggerating and that carpenters ar...